Helpful Information About Cycling in Metro Vancouver
Maps & Route Planning
Route planning has a HUGE impact on safety! Plan ahead.
- Route planning best practices
- Vancouver Bike Route Planner
- Metro Vancouver Bike Maps by Municipality
- Google Maps route planning
- Cycling in Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver Maps (TransLink)
- Bike to Transit
- Cowlines - multimodal trip planning App
- Let's Go Biking (Easy rides around Metro Van for all ages and abilities)
Cycling & COVID-19
Resources that cover everything cycling related in the time of COVID-19.
Buying or Donating a Bike
Resources to help you decide which bike makes sense for you - cargo, road, hybrid, or city/commuter.
- Bike Shops with HUB Member Discounts
- Donate Abandoned Bikes (Donate Bikes from a Strata or Building)
- Metro Vancouver Bike Match Program (Donate a Bike/Need a Bike)
- Cargo Bike Buying Guide
- PST-Free Bikes, Trikes, and Related items
- Bikeshare: in Vancouver, we recommend Mobi Bikes
- Commuter Bike Shopper's Checklist
- Bike fitting services and 'try before you buy' options
Cycling Safety & Tips
Our Streetwise program includes a variety of public courses to reach people with different skill and experience levels. Sign up today!
- Cycling Courses
- Newcomers Guide to Cycling
- Year Round Cycling
- 10 Cycling Safety Tips
- BikeSense: A Guide on Cycling Laws and Safety in BC
- Carrying Stuff on your Bike
- Cycling in the Rain
- BIKESAFE with Mobi by Shaw Go
- Cycling with Families: SpokesMama Blog, Portland Family Biking Guide
- Metro Vancouver Cyclist's Handbook: English, Chinese, Tagalog, Korean and Punjabi
Insurance & Theft
Be prepared in case of an incident on your bike, or when encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route.
Issues & Improvements
Help maintain cycling infrastructure by reporting potholes and unsafe street conditions or to request improvements. Or get involved in a HUB Local Committee and help us write letters, attend meetings and consultations.
Bike Research & Data
- State of Cycling in Metro Vancouver
- HUB Cycling Amenities - Informing Design for End of Trip Cycling Amenities in Vancouver.
- Cycling in Cities Research Program (UBC)
- Safety Evidence for Bicycling (UBC)
- The Economics of Bike Parking (White Paper, Urban Racks)
- Value for Money: An Economic Assessment of Investment in Walking and Cycling (Dr. Adrian Davis)
- Cycling Research (McGill University)
- Initiative for Bicycle and Pedestrian Innovation (Portland State University)
- Toronto Cycling Think & Do Tank (University of Toronto)
- AARP Livable Communities
- A Manual for the Design of Active Transportation