Helpful Information About Cycling in Metro Vancouver
Courses and Safety
Visit our Bike Education page to learn about HUB Cycling courses for all ages, and to access our free online learning resources. If you're looking for a custom course for your group or event, please complete our course request form, and our bike education team will get back to you.
Learning to Ride Handbook (PDF): The Metro Vancouver Cyclist's Handbook is available in five languages, reaching new communities with mobility choices.
Maps and Route
Route planning has a HUGE impact on safety! Plan ahead.
- How to introduce multimodal trip planning
- Vancouver Bike Route Planner
- Metro Vancouver Bike Maps by Municipality
- Google Maps route planning
- Cycling in Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver Maps (TransLink)
- Bike to Transit
- Webinar: Wayfinding and the importance of cycling signage
- Cowlines - multimodal trip planning App
- Let's Go Biking (Easy rides around Metro Van for all ages and abilities)
Bikeshare and Bicycle
Resources on different types of bicycles, bicycle donations, bike shares, and purchasing options.
- Donate Abandoned Bikes (Donate Bikes from a Strata or Building)
- Metro Vancouver Bike Match Program (Donate a Bike or Need a Bike)
- Bikeshare - Vancouver: Mobi Bikes*, North Shore: Lime Electric, SFU Burnaby and Whistler: Evolve E-Bike Share**, UBC: Bike Share and Scooter Share Hopr
- Map of Metro Vancouver Bike Shops
- Commuter Bike Shopper's Checklist
- Bike fitting services and 'try before you buy options
- Adaptive Biking and Cycling for All Abilities
- Cargo Bikes
- Cycling with children
- 10 Cycling Safety Tips
* Mobi's Community Pass Program offers one year of bike share for $20 for those who qualify for the program.
**Evolve works with WCSS and Howe Sound Women’s Centre in Whistler to provide a community program to eligible members (lowering the per-minute rate from $0.35 to $0.10), please reach out to the two non-profit organizations for more details.
Be prepared in case of an incident on your bike or encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route. HUB Members get 10% off Pedal Power Biking Insurance. Join today.
- Insurance: Are you covered?
- Bike Theft: register your bike with Project 529.
- Been in a Collision? Watch this video, "In Conversation with David Hay, K.C. Bicycle Lawyer" to learn about your legal rights & duties and what to do if you've had a collision.
- BikeMaps.org lets you track collisions and near misses
Issues and Improvements
Help maintain cycling infrastructure by reporting potholes and unsafe street conditions or to request improvements. Or get involved in a HUB Local Committee and help us write letters, attend meetings and consultations.
- HUB Local Committees - HUB Cycling sponsored volunteer-led committees in 10 Metro Vancouver neighborhoods.
- Learn more about the #UnGapTheMap campaign
- In Vancouver, call 311
- Reporting issues to Local Governments
- Request Bike Parking
- State of Cycling in Metro Vancouver
- HUB Cycling Amenities - Informing Design for End of Trip Cycling Amenities in Vancouver.
- Cycling in Cities Research Program (UBC)
- BC My Community My Health Project
- Safety Evidence for Bicycling (UBC)
- The Economic Impacts of Cycling - Bike League
- Value for Money: An Economic Assessment of Investment in Walking and Cycling (UK Department of Health)
- Cycling Research (McGill University)
- Toronto Cycling Think & Do Tank (University of Toronto)
- Toronto Centre for Active Transportation
- AARP Livable Communities
- Active Transportation Alliance Design Guides
Advocacy and Recreational
Resources on recreational riding groups as well as HUB Cycling volunteer-run local committee groups can be found below.
Visit our webinars page to watch HUB Cycling produced webinars on Cycling Education, Infrastructure, Staying Fit to Bike and to see recordings of past HUB Cycling Annual General Meetings.
Thank you for helping spread the word about HUB Cycling!
Please refer to our brand guide here.
Download HUB Cycling logo:
- HUB CMYK logo (.ai file)
- HUB CMYK logo with Tagline (.eps file)
- HUB CMYK logo with URL (.eps file)
- HUB CMYK logo with URL (png file) (web | print)